Maine CDC will update information on mosquito-borne disease surveillance in the state every Monday through September at http://go.usa.gov/jt6R
EEE and WNV are viruses transmitted through the bite of an infected mosquito. Maine CDC recommends the following preventative measures to protect against mosquito-borne illnesses:
- Use an Environmental Protection Agency-approved repellent when outdoors, especially around dawn and dusk. Always follow the instructions on the product’s label;
- Wear protective clothing when outdoors, including long-sleeved shirts, pants and socks;
- Keep window and door screens down to keep mosquitoes out of the home;
- Limit time outdoors at dawn and dusk when many species of mosquitoes are most active;
- Remove containers holding water in and around the home, as water can attract mosquitoes.
Information on pesticides and repellents is available at the Maine Board of Pesticides Control website at: http://go.usa.gov/jt6F