Friday, October 15, 2010

Depression Rates in Maine and US

The current issue of U.S. CDC’s MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) contains updated data on current depression among adults in the United States and for each state. Maine’s rates are listed as: 3.5% reporting major depression; 4.4% reporting some kind of depression; for a total of 7.9% prevalence (or 1 in 13).

These rates are comparable with the U.S. rates of 3.4%, 5.7%, and 9.0% respectively. The link to the full report is: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5938a2.htm?s_cid=mm5938a2_w#tab2. A separate analysis of Maine data indicates that about 20% of adults have been told at one time during their lifetime they are or have been depressed.

No comments: